Tools and Resources
Financially independence and early retirement are some of our favorite topics. We love to talk to our friends and family about money, and when we do we reference our favorite tools and calculators. Some of the links below are free web tools and others are things we have created free accounts to use. We do not pay any fees to use any of these tools (and none of these are affiliate links).
- Engaging Data Post-Retirement Calculator
- Is It Better to Rent or Buy?
- Mad Fientist’s FI Laboratory
- Personal Capital
- Post-Retirement Calculator
Our process for picking travel locations starts with choosing a region we want to spend a few months in. Then we dial down into the different countries within that region and do some research on those, and once we have our top choice of countries we look into the cities within those places. Research topics include history, government, politics, human rights, civil rights, tourism and its impacts on the local culture, cost of living, health and wellness, etc. The following websites are what we use for destination research (none of these are affiliate links).
- Centers for Disease Control
- Cost of Living
- Human Rights Watch
- US State Department/Country Information
- World Atlas
- World Nomads/Travel Safety
Accounts and Memberships
We also have some accounts and memberships that we use as full-time nomads and share with other people because they are such a huge part of our lives right now. Some of these links below are affiliate links, others are just links to company websites (not affiliate links).
- We pay for one global cell phone plan from Google Fi (and we still drag our old iPhones around and use them on wifi since they have no active cell plans anymore).
- We use ProtonVPN for security on our phones and computers.
- All of our postal mail is received through Traveling Mailbox.
- For housing we use a very short list of options including Hilton Hotels booked with points from our Hilton Honors American Express, Hotels.com properties booked with points or dollars, Airbnb homes booked with dollars, or we agree to be TrustedHousesitters.
- As for the credit cards, we are mostly using Chase cards at this point. All of our credit cards were selected based on their travel rewards programs and signup bonuses, and we use these cards strategically to accumulate travel rewards points.
BY THE WAY – If you use any of the above affiliate links to create an account, we may receive an affiliate commission. If you do use any of these affiliate links to create your own account or make a purchase that means you are helping us with our website costs AND WE THANK YOU!